Saturday, June 21, 2008

What do art teachers do in the summer? Brenda's Summer

I teach elementary art full-time+ during the school year and in the summer I gel all those ideas I have had swimming in my mind all year, and apply them to canvas or paper. I will participate in 3 art shows this summer and a calendar contest. That means 10+ new pieces of art work by the middle of July. I do watercolor and pen/ink usually, but this summer so far, I have experimented with acrylic on canvas and paper with watercolor and have even done a drawing on aluminum foil of barns! I also read fiction books I have saved during the school year, until the wee hours of morning, and at least 2 non-fiction books pertaining to education during the summer. I have a huge garden, both vegetables, and flowers which I enjoy working in too. This summer I am also helping a youth theatre group with backdrops for plays they are practicing/performing in July, and am scheduled to teach art for grades 1-4 for a new summer school program started in a small town near my home (not my school district) for a couple of weeks at the end of July. By the middle of July, I focus on my lesson plans and new projects I want to introduce to my students next year and make a trip to school one day a week to work on my room and samples/displays/element books that I need for the beginning of school Aug 11. It sounds very full, but I add time with my teen-age children, husband, elderly parents/parents-in-law, church, friends and just some down time on the deck. I love summer, but I miss my students and the excitement of teaching them the appreciation for and the ability to do great art.

No comments: